Since 1997, Lyle has represented businesses and individuals in complex business disputes. Lyle’s vast trial experience in federal and state courts includes representing clients in the fields of real estate, banking, insurance, manufacturing and technology. Lyle has also represented clients in arbitration proceedings, and in appeals in both state and federal courts. Prior to establishing Herskowitz Shapiro, Lyle was a partner at a nationally recognized Miami law firm.
Lyle has been recognized as a top attorney in The Best Lawyers in America in the practice area of commercial litigation. He has also been named one of Florida’s top lawyers in the area of commercial litigation in Florida Trend’s Legal Elite and a Top Lawyer in the South Florida Legal Guide. He has achieved an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell, which is the highest rating for legal ability and professional ethics.
- Represented Borden Dairy in a jury trial in Miami-Dade Circuit Court involving claims for breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented Simon Property Group, L.P. in a federal court trade infringement action.
- Represented former employees of Willis Towers Watson affiliates against claims for breach of alleged restrictive covenants, tortious interference and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented Bally Total Fitness Company in a landlord/tenant dispute involving alleged common area expenses due under a commercial lease. Verdict was entered in client’s favor after trial. The verdict was affirmed by the state appellate court.
- Represented former employee of construction industry business against claims of violation of non-competition agreement and tortious interference.
- Obtained a dismissal of a federal court lawsuit filed against an international insurance broker client. The plaintiff sought in excess of $4.5 million in damages. The District Court’s ruling was affirmed by the U.S. 11th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended clients in federal court action alleging violations of the Lanham Act and Tariff Act.
- Defended client in class action filed in the United States District Court of the Southern District of Florida predicated on alleged violations of the Sherman Act.
- Represented Bank of America and Merrill Lynch in federal and state court litigation involving claims of breach of non-solicitation agreements and theft of trade secrets.
- Represented members/owners of a hotel in dispute involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and fraud. Judgment entered in clients' favor after non-jury trial.
- Defended a former employee of Charles Schwab at an evidentiary hearing in federal court against a claim for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of a non-solicitation agreement.
- Defended two former employees against claims by Neuberger Berman for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of non-solicitation agreements. Neuberger Berman sought preliminary injunctive relief in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida. Neuberger Berman’s request for injunctive relief was denied after hearing.
- Representation of Simon Property Group, the largest retail shopping mall owner in the United States, in connection with landlord/tenant disputes.
- Defended two former employees of Charles Schwab against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of non-solicitation agreements. Charles Schwab sought preliminary injunctive relief in federal court in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Charles Schwab’s request for injunctive relief was denied after hearing.
- Defended large REIT against claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, and unfair and deceptive trade practices. Plaintiff sought millions of dollars in damages in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida. Summary Judgment granted in client's favor.
- Defended three former employees against claims by Northern Trust for misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of non-solicitation agreements, tortious interference, and related claims. Northern Trust sought temporary injunctive relief in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. Northern Trust’s request for injunctive relief was denied after hearing.
- Defended former employees of a technology company in a temporary injunction proceeding brought in Palm Beach Circuit Court wherein the former employer alleged theft of trade secrets and violations of restrictive covenants.
- Defended former employees of Wells Fargo Insurance Services against claims for breach of restrictive covenants.
- Obtained judgment for eviction for client/landlord, after a contested evidentiary hearing, against a tenant in a Class A office building in Miami Beach,
- Represented child care center in a Florida Department of Health administrative hearing.
- Defended former employees of Mercer in evidentiary preliminary injunction hearing in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Defended a telemarketing company at trial in an action brought by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Defended renowned restaurant in federal court action involving alleged trademark infringement and unfair competition claims.
- Represented clients against claims for breach of non-solicitation agreements brought by U.S.I. Insurance Services, LLC.
- Represented Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection in connection with its lease negotiation for its Miami headquarters.
Representative Reported Cases
- Simon Property Group, L.P. v. Casino Travel, Inc. 2020 WL 6143632 (S.D. Fla. 2020)
- Brink vs. Raymond James & Associates, Inc., 2018 WL 5276272 (S.D. Fla. 2018)
- USI Insurance Services, LLC v. Lockton Companies, LLC et al, 2017 WL 8948392 (M.D. Fla. 2017)
- Terant v. Beltway Capital, LLC, 147 So. 3d 1103 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2014)
- Remington v. Newbridge Sec. Corp., 2014 WL 505153 (S.D. Fla. Feb. 7, 2014)
- Carvajal v. Banc of Am. Inv. Serv., Inc., 122 So. 3d 393 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2013)
- Remington v. Newbridge Sec. Corp., 2013 WL 2444719 (S.D. Fla. June 5, 2013)
- Aero Techs., LLC v. Lockton Companies Int'l, 2011 WL 7657475 (S.D. Fla. Apr. 25, 2011) aff'd, 467 F. App'x 824 (11th Cir. 2012)
- Ferguson v. Estate of Campana, 47 So. 3d 838 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2010)
- Miracle Ctr. Associates v. Scandinavian Health Spa, Inc., 889 So. 2d 877 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2004)
- World Vacation Travel, S.A., de C.V. v. Brooker, 799 So. 2d 410 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2001)
Lyle graduated cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law in 1997. He graduated with honors from the University of Florida in 1994 with a Bachelor of Science in Finance.
Lyle serves on the Ad Hoc Committee for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit's Business Litigation Division, which committee established the framework and procedures for such Division in 2006. He served on the Miami-Dade County Bar Association's Board of Directors in 2002-2003. He previously served as Chairman of the Banking and Corporate Litigation Committee and Mediation Committee, and was Chairman of the Federal Courts Committee from 2005-2007.
Since 2007, Lyle has led a fundraising effort to help and save the Miami-Dade County Law Library. In May 2016, the Honorable Bertila Soto, Chief Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida, appointed Lyle to serve as a member of the Miami-Dade County Law Library Board of Trustees.